A program of the Dialogue Center
What you Need to Know:
- This is a volunteer program that asks you to commit 90 minutes to 2 hours a week tutoring inmates at the Northampton County Prison in Easton.
- Inmates you will be dealing with are lowest security. They are working on high school equivalency preparation.
- Entering the prison requires 1. an orientation on site and 2. a background check that may take up to two weeks (sometimes longer) before you are cleared to get a photo ID credential.
- Tutoring hours are from 8:30 to 11:00 and from 1:00 to 3:30 Monday through Friday. The Easton public school schedule is followed, and this is relevant to holidays, teacher training and so on.
- You would provide hours of availability and a schedule will be put together for your one-time-a-week participation; the project depends upon volunteer drivers at this point.
- Every effort will be made to coordinate rides so volunteers can get out to the prison for orientation, which takes about an hour. Travel time is 30 minutes each way. (Photo ID, SS#, and two personal references are required.)
- Students who might be seeking credit for this as part of the Ethics Minor should see Professor Steffen (x83877 or LHS1)
- For any questions, contact Dr. Lloyd Steffen at the Dialogue Center—LHS1.