A program of the Dialogue Center
What you Need to Know:
- This is a volunteer program that asks you to commit 90 minutes to 2 hours a week tutoring inmates at the Northampton County Prison in Easton.
- Inmates you will be dealing with are lowest security. They are working on high school equivalency preparation.
- Entering the prison requires:
1. An orientation on site;
2. A background check that may take up to two weeks (sometimes longer) before you are cleared to get a photo ID credential.
- Tutoring hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Easton public school schedule is followed, and this is relevant to holidays, teacher training and so on.
- You would provide hours of availability a the beginning of the semester and a schedule will be put together for your one-time-a-week participation; the project depends upon volunteer drivers, who are reimbursed for their mileage.
- Every effort will be made to coordinate rides for volunteers. Travel time is 30 minutes each way in addition to tutoring (usually 90 minutes).
- At the Lehigh information session, prospective volunteers should bring a government issued photo ID.
- For any questions, contact Dr. Lloyd Steffen at the Dialogue Center—LHS1.